Lately I struggled with finding a way to deselect “automatically detect settings” in IE for all users of a customer.
There are no GPO settings for this and the GPP IE settings doesn’t allow to set this for any IE versions before IE10 and the customer needs IE9 for compatibility issues with their SharePoint sites.
After much searching I found a way to set this using GPP to set a registry setting.
- Create a new GPO or edit an existing one
- Navigate to User configuration – Preferences – Windows Settings – Registry
- Create a new registry item with the following values
- Name: DefaultConnectionSettings
- Action: Update
- Hive: HKEY_CURRENT_USER
- Path: Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Internet Settings\Connections
- Value Name: DefaultConnectionSettings
- Type: REG_BINARY
- Data: (make sure you copy the entire line below, it’s several hundred digits)
It should look like this then
This will always clear the “Automatically detect settings” on next logon or gpupdate